1. No Gas Required: Electric cars are entirely charged by the electricity you provide, meaning you don’t need to buy any gas ever again. Driving fuel based cars can burn a hole in your pocket as prices of fuel have gone all time high. With electric cars, this cost can be avoided as an average American spends $2000 – $4000 on gas each year. Though electricity isn’t free, an electric car is far cheaper to run.
2. Savings: These cars can be fuelled for very cheap prices, and many new cars will offer great incentives for you to get money back from the government for going green. Electric cars can also be a great way to save money in your own life.
3. No Emissions: Electric cars are 100 percent eco-friendly as they run on electrically powered engines. It does not emit toxic gases or smoke in the environment as it runs on clean energy source. They are even better than hybrid cars as hybrids running on gas produce emissions. You’ll be contributing to a healthy and green climate.
4. Popularity: EV’s are growing in popularity. With popularity comes all new types of cars being put on the market that are each unique, providing you with a wealth of choices moving forward.
5. Safe to Drive: Electric cars undergo same fitness and testing procedures test as other fuel powered cars. In case an accident occurs, one can expect airbags to open up and electricity supply to cut from battery. This can prevent you and other passengers in the car from serious injuries.
6. Cost Effective: Earlier, owing an electric car would cost a bomb. But with more technological advancements, both cost and maintenance have gone down. The mass production of batteries and available tax incentives have further brought down the cost, thus, making it much more cost effective.
7. Low Maintenance: Electric cars runs on electrically powered engines and hence there is no need to lubricate the engines. Other expensive engine work is a thing of past. Therefore, the maintenance cost of these cars has come down. You don’t need to send it to service station often as you do a normal gasoline powered car.
8. Reduced Noise Pollution
Many owners of electric cars have reported positive savings of up to tens of thousands of dollars a year. Considering the demand for oil will only be going up as the supplies run out, an electric car will most likely be the normal mode of transportation in the coming future. Companies like Nissan and Tesla offer great electric models with an outstanding amount of benefits for people who decide to invest. You’ll be saving not only yourself, but also your family a huge amount of money. The environmental impact of an electric car is zero, as well – meaning you’re reducing your carbon footprint and positively affecting the economy.
Disadvantages of an Electric Car
Although the evidence of the positives has become very clear, there are also some downsides that each individual needs to consider before they decide to make an electric car their next big investment. These reasons are:
1. Recharge Points: Electric fueling stations are still in the development stages. Not a lot of places you go to on a daily basis will have electric fueling stations for your vehicle, meaning that if you’re on a long trip and run out of a charge, you may be stuck where you are.
2. Electricity isn’t Free: Electric cars can also be a hassle on your energy bill if you’re not considering the options carefully. If you haven’t done your research into the electric car you want to purchase, then you may be making an unwise investment. Sometimes electric cars require a huge charge in order to function properly – which may reflect poorly on your electricity bill each month.
3. Short Driving Range and Speed: Electric cars are limited by range and speed. Most of these cars have range about 50-100 miles and need to be recharged again. You just can’t use them for long journeys as of now, although it is expected to improve in future.
4. Longer Recharge Time: While it takes couple of minutes to fuel your gasoline powered car, an electric car take about 4-6 hours to get fully charged. Therefore, you need dedicated power stations as the time taken to recharge them is quite long.
5. Silence as Disadvantage: Silence can be a bit disadvantage as people like to hear noise if they are coming from behind them. An electric car is however silent and can lead to accidents in some cases.
6. Normally 2 Seaters: Most of the electric cars available today are small and 2 seated only. They are not meant for entire family and a third person can make journey for other two passengers bit uncomfortable.
7. Battery Replacement: Depending on the type and usage of battery, batteries of almost all electric cars are required to be changed every 3-10 years.
8. Not Suitable for Cities Facing Shortage of Power: As electric cars need power to charge up, cities already facing acute power shortage are not suitable for electric cars. The consumption of more power would hamper their daily power needs.
9. Some governments do not provide money saving initiatives in order to encourage you to buy an electric car.
10. Some base models of electric cars are still very expensive because of how new they are and the technology it took to develop them.